Fields: correctional system, women’s rights, health, poverty, research
Location: Oakland, California
About the Organization: Heluna Health is the leading provider of program services and fiscal sponsorship for over 280 population health initiatives. We empower public health agencies, academic researchers, public/private consortia, and nonprofits. We build evidence-based programs, provide fiscal support, and develop custom solutions to help you serve your community. Our aim is to empower health researchers and organizations across sectors to become the best at what they do—improving the health and well-being of their communities. Over the past 50 years, we have built a strong community of partners who work on the front lines to help more people live healthy and productive lives.
Partner: RTI International. One of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice.
About the Position: Heluna Health and the Community Health Program at RTI International seek a Study Recruiter/Research Interviewer to participate in outreach, recruitment, and data collection efforts for a community-based research study involving women on probation in Alameda County. Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator, a core responsibility of this role will be engaging with women in the community, through established relationships with organizations and in public spaces, to identify and recruit study participants. In addition, the Study Recruiter/Research Interviewer will conduct quantitative interviews with participants at the Downtown Oakland field site. Work environment will be temporary field sites such as community-based organizations, government offices, and other public spaces. This is a part-time and benefitted position working 60% time (Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays).
- Travel to CBOs, local government agencies, and public spaces in Alameda County to recruit study participants; Build and maintain relationships with staff working at CBOs from which we will recruit participants
- Screen and recruit women involved with the criminal justice system; Document and communicate recruitment efforts and collaborate with study team to continuously move efforts forward
- Conduct informed consent procedures and structured quantitative interviews with research participants; Operate computerized data collection program (CAPI) on a laptop computer
- Provide referrals to appropriate health and social services as needed
Special Requirements/Qualifications: We are seeking a flexible and motivated individual with strong interpersonal skills and previous experience working with marginalized populations.
- At least 1 year of experience in quantitative data collection / using computerized data collection systems required
- At least 2 years of experience working with marginalized populations, such as people who use drugs, homeless people, or former inmates required; Familiarity with street/substance using social settings
- Familiarity with the practice and principles of harm reduction
- Familiarity with Downtown Oakland and surrounding Alameda County
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills; Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Ability to de-escalate potentially volatile situations
Estimated Salary: $21 – $26 per hour
Deadline: Not given