Fields: healthcare, policy, political science, government, health
Location: Bay Area, California
About the Organization: Convergence Center for Policy Resolution is an established, independent, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization focused on solving major national challenges through collaboration. We bring deep knowledge of policy and process, and work with leaders and doers to move past divergent views and identify workable solutions to seemingly intractable issues. The results of our projects include: breakthroughs in relationships and sustained collaboration among diverse stakeholder groups, bipartisan legislation, public-private partnerships, public education and awareness campaigns, and changes in research and philanthropic priorities.
About the Position: Convergence Center for Policy Resolution seeks an Intern to support the launch of Convergence’s first public policy project in California, the California Health Reform Initiative (“CHRI”). CHRI will bring together and foster effective dialogue among state-wide health care leaders and stakeholders. Interns majoring in, or having graduated in, public health or public policy are preferred. The internship is part-time, 20 hours per week. The intern is welcome to spend additional time observing our work, such as listening to stakeholder interviews and attending meetings. Start date is immediate with an anticipated end date in July 2019 or at the end of the spring semester if the intern’s schedule requires. Preference will be given to applicants with the flexibility to continue through the summer. Location: San Francisco Bay Area – Intern will confer at least once each week with the CHRI team and Project Director Vicki Veenker via video conference or in person when team members are in Palo Alto.
The experience at Convergence will:
- ▪ Cultivate a deep knowledge of California health care reform policy and financing issues.
- ▪ Provide exposure to policy-making at the state level.
- ▪ Provide experience in coordinating meetings with high-level policymakers, analysts, and others.
- ▪ Provide the opportunity to attend roundtable discussions and meetings to listen and learn.
- ▪ Cultivate a deeper awareness of self, skills, and interests.
- ▪ Educate about the process of consensus building.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: We are most interested in individuals with interest in, knowledge of, and experience with, health care policy and the related debate in California on health care financing, Covered California, Medi-Cal, and the active discussion regarding a single payer approach. Interns majoring in, or having graduated in, public health or public policy are preferred.
- Be pursuing or have a graduate or under-graduate degree in Public Health, Public Policy, Political Science, or a related degree.
- Have knowledge of, and preferably experience with, health care policy issues.
- Have excellent research and analytical skills.
- Possess strong administrative and logistical skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to complete multiple tasks with overlapping deadlines.
- Exhibit initiative and flexibility concerning work assignments.
- Possess creative problem-solving skills
- Work well independently or as a team.
- Have superb written and verbal communications skills, including a strong command of written and spoken English.
- Pay attention to detail, accuracy, and precision.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Be fluent with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Estimated Salary: $13.50 hourly, 20 hours/week
Deadline: September 14, 2018
Convergence Center for Policy Resolution