Fields: sustainability, environment, health, marketing, outreach
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
About the Organization: Philadelphia Parks & Recreation (PPR) advances the prosperity of the city and the progress of her people through intentional and sustained stewardship of over 10,200 acres of public land and waterways as wel through hundreds of safe, stimulating recreation, environmental, and cultural centers. PPR promotes the well-being and growth of the City’s residents by connecting them to the natural world around them, to each other, and to fun, physical, and social opportunities. PPR is responsible for the upkeep of historically significant Philadelphia events and specialty venues, and works collaboratively with communities and organizations in leading capital projects and the introduction of inventive programming.
TreePhilly promotes Philadelphia’s urban forest and provides residents with the resources they need to plant and care for trees in their own yards and in public spaces. Since 2012, TreePhilly has distributed over 21,500 free yard trees to Philadelphia residents through the Yard Tree Giveaway Program. TreePhilly also offers public programs like volunteer tree planting and care events, and communicates about PPR’s urban forestry work by managing online website content and social media channels, coordinating city-wide marketing campaigns through the City of Arborly Love brand, and bringing together urban forestry stakeholders across the city and region. In the next few years, PPR plans to expand to offer free trees for residential lands, but will also expand efforts to plant trees on park land, engage residents in the planting and maintenance workforce development program and encourage street tree planting in the areas where residents are the most vulnerable to heat and other stressors.
About the Position: The Program Specialist will oversee all operational aspects and staff of the Yard Tree Giveaway program, other public programs and marketing efforts related to those programs. The position requires an energetic, self-motivated and organized person who can work independently as well as collaboratively with the rest of the TreePhilly team. The ideal candidate will have a flexible schedule that includes early mornings, evening and weekend work, both in and out of the office.
- Knowledge of Excel;
- Familiarity with communication via social media, especially Twitter, Facebook and Instagram;
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and work outside in adverse conditions;
- Preferred: Familiarity with the City of Philadelphia and its neighborhoods.
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry, horticulture, plant science or related field, or equivalent experience;
- Experience with community organizing;
- Experience with volunteer organizing and event planning;
- Experience managing staff;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Valid PA driver’s license; Successful candidates must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire.
Estimated Salary: Annual salary starting a $40,000. Grant-funded for 3 years.
Deadline: August 31, 2018
City of Philadelphia Parks & Recreation