Fields: government, education, math, design, outreach
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
About the Organization: The Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality (TRQ) is responsible for the recruitment of high quality teachers to meet the staffing needs of NYC public schools as well as responsible for initiatives to promote the equitable and quality distribution of teachers across all schools. Research has repeatedly shown that teacher quality is the single most important variable in raising student learning. The Office accomplishes its work through a strategic, data driven approach.
About the Position: TRQ is seeking a long-term, part-time Operations & Special Projects Associate. In this role, the Associate will support the budget, special projects, and day-to-day operations of TRQ. The Operations & Special Projects Associate responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing and tracking invoice reconciliations for multiple programs and university partners, which include investigating and following up on invoice discrepancies, as well as communicating them to appropriate colleagues
- Reviewing, tracking, and managing all aspects of paperwork and payments for teacher participation in key recruitment programs
- Owning, redesigning and streamlining the paperwork and payments process to create more efficiencies.
- Supporting in the coordination across TRQ to ensure we meet city-wide budget deadlines, including assisting in the preparation of budget reports
- Handles program stipend requests, including receiving and scanning checks, preparing documents for stipend distribution, and managing issues related to stipend checks
- Handling day-to-day operations, such as providing support to Deputy Director on technology and space needs, updating the TRQ internal blog, and managing parts of new employee on-boarding processes
- Pitching in where necessary across the office, especially in “all hands on deck” situations; this can mean anything from stuffing swag bags and folders to cleaning out shelves/rooms to staffing at events
Compensation and Timeline: 10-20 hours weekly, depending on the season, schedule, and needs. Schedule to be determined in collaboration with hiring manager. We are seeking a long-term, part-time consultant to make at least a 6-month commitment. Please note that this is a consultant position through School Professionals, and is paid hourly and does not include health benefits.
The Associate should also successfully demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Solution-oriented mindset. Effectively articulates and persists through challenges while offering effective and creative solutions.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented. Highly organized with the ability to independently manage tasks/projects while prioritizing team’s goals.
- Adaptable. Open to working through ambiguity, and take on various projects that may extend beyond day-to-day work responsibilities.
- Coachable. Successfully integrates TRQ staff feedback to successfully complete tasks/projects. Open to learning new skills to produce quality work products and grow as a professional.
- Resourceful. Ability to make connections to existing context and resources in order to provide a high level of support across stakeholders and the office.
- Effective Communicator. Ability to communicate effectively and clearly across all channels, with a focus on quality customer service.
Estimated Salary: $18-$22 per hour
Deadline: August 29, 2018
Department of Education of the City of New York