Fields: sustainability, technology, communications, marketing, social enterprise
Location: Berkeley, California
About the Organization: The Story of Stuff Project was founded in 2008 to leverage one of the earliest and most successful cause-related viral movies: Annie Leonard’s The Story of Stuff. Our mission is to transform the way we make, use and throw away Stuff to be more sustainable, healthy and fair. Over the past five years, our trademark movies have garnered more than 38 million views; we’ve provided sustainability education and training tools to thousands of schools, faith communities, businesses and governments; and our 450,000+ Community members have contributed to dozens of grassroots efforts to protect the planet. Our charming attic office is conveniently located in downtown Berkeley, CA, and we share the space with a number of other innovative digital organizations and leaders. Interns participate fully in the life of the Project and will have access to both our team and the network of peers with whom we regularly collaborate.
Catalog Choice Programs Associate
About the Position: In 2015, The Story of Stuff Project acquired Catalog Choice, a free web service that enables U.S. residents to cancel catalogs and other types of direct mail they no longer wish to receive. We took on the platform to save its important environmental service and to provide the one million members of the Story of Stuff online Community with a gateway opportunity to put their values into action. It is the only free and industry-independent tool for direct mail opt-outs in the U.S. Catalog Choice presently has over 2.2 million registered users. In 2017, Catalog Choice members completed more than 850,000 opt-outs, diverting hundreds of tons of paper waste and keeping thousands of trees in the ground.
This paid, part-time position represents an opportunity to support this innovative, technology-based program housed within an established and respected environmental nonprofit. The program associate will work side-by-side with our small team in a fast-paced environment. Up to 20 hours per week.
Current students or recent college graduates are welcome to apply. We are seeking a professional, accountable candidate whose responsibilities will include the following core tasks:
- Compliance outreach: Contact catalog merchants and other direct mail distributors to improve their handling of Catalog Choice opt-out requests, with the opportunity to help develop public-facing advocacy campaigns targeting noncompliant merchants.
- Partnership development: Catalog Choice provides junk-mail reduction services to various institutions; identify targets and conduct outreach to establish new partnerships with municipalities, universities, and other organizations.
- Marketing and communications: develop and execute strategies to grow the Catalog Choice user base through social media marketing, paid promotions, partnerships, and growth hacking.
- Customer support: Respond to user issues in a polite, professional, and timely manner, utilizing existing customer support resources and canned responses.
- Demonstrated interest in environmentalism, sustainable development, social business, or related fields.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to develop a strategic plan and work independently
- Strong attention to detail
Social Media Associate
The Social Media Associate will work side-by-side with our small team in a fast-paced environment. 15 hours per week. Core Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage paid Facebook advertising campaign
- Assist with content creation, curation, and engagement across The Story of Stuff Project’s various social media channels
- Identify and reach out to influencers and content creators
- Administrative tasks such as adding subtitles to videos, media organization, etc.
- Demonstrated interest in environmentalism, social entrepreneurship, and marketing for good
- Independent problem solver
- Ability to execute fast with attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Paid Facebook advertising experience a plus
- Previous social media management experience a plus
Estimated Salary: $15 per hour
Deadline: September 3, 2018
The Story of Stuff Project