Fields: arts, youth, social change
Location: Lawrence, Massachusetts
About the Organization: Elevated Thought is an art and social justice Lawrence-based 501(c)(3) organization that actively serves and develops communities through youth empowerment curriculum, beautification projects, youth organizing, and public outreach. At a grassroots level, we believe art has the power to generate awareness and investment in social issues, particularly in urban and rural areas.
About the Position: In Elevated Thought’s Youth Program Fellowship, participants will be expected to maintain and facilitate youth programming during after school hours. Elevated Thought youth programming encourages students to examine societal issues, specifically the ones they see in and around their community and pushes them to explore new ideas and creative solutions to social issues through discussion and debate, poetry, and various visual art mediums. Tuesday through Thursday from 2-7 PM. Dates August 20, 2018 – June 21, 2019.
● Passion for and belief in our mission statement that art has the power to generate awareness and investment in social issues
● Ability to listen to, empower, and see the strengths and skills of students from diverse backgrounds and experiences to critically think about new ideas and creative solutions to social issues affecting their communities
● Keen interest in and understanding of history, philosophy, critical thinking, collaboration, and public outreach
● Ability to be flexible and creative in managing various tasks/projects at once and under tight timeframes
● Strong, interpersonal, speaking, writing, and group facilitation skills
● Bilingualism is a plus; English & Spanish
● Experience in teaching or youth programming preferred
● An appreciation for the arts
● An understanding of the Lawrence Public Schools is beneficial
Estimated Salary: $15/hour
Deadline: August 3, 2018