Fields: government, indigenous, health, environment, science
Location: San Carlos, AZ – Tempe, AZ – Elko, NV – Reno, NV
About the Organization: The Indian Health Service (IHS), an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services, is responsible for providing federal health services to American Indians and Alaska Natives. Our Mission: To raise the physical, mental, social, and spiritual health of American Indians and Alaska Natives to the highest level. Our Goal: To ensure that comprehensive, culturally acceptable personal and public health services are available and accessible to American Indian and Alaska Native people. Our Foundation: To uphold the Federal Government’s obligation to promote healthy American Indian and Alaska Native people, communities, and cultures and to honor and protect the inherent sovereign rights of Tribes.
About the Position: These are recent graduate positions as Environmental Health Specialists with OEHE at 4 duty locations in AZ and NV who are placed in a dynamic 2-year developmental program in the excepted service designed to lead to a career in the Federal government. Responsibilities (under guidance of District and Area staff) include:
- Assist in the planning, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive environmental health program at assigned duty station.
- Conduct comprehensive environmental health surveys of all IHS, BIA and tribal facilities including schools, head starts, day care centers, gaming facilities, health care, recreational facilities, industrial operations and drug rehabilitation facilities on assigned reservations
- Build tribal capacity to manage environmental health hazards in their community by assisting with the development of environmental health and occupational safety policies, procedures, regulations, employee training programs and public education materials
- Serves as a technical consultant to tribal program managers and leaders by assisting them with environmental health hazard identification.
Four vacancies in the following locations: San Carlos, AZ – Tempe, AZ – Elko, NV – Reno, NV. At the successful conclusion of this program, the agency may non-competitively convert individuals to term or permanent positions in the competitive service (at the discretion of the agency and is neither guaranteed nor implied).
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, which includes major study an academic field related to Environmental Health.
- One year relevant experience (paid or unpaid) including relevant tasks: independently conducting environmental health facility surveys, special environmental health investigations, developing effective environmental health training resources, and conducting environmental health/injury prevention data analysis; with skills/knowledge of: statistical analysis, GIS and other software used in the environmental health field; possess the basic understanding of biology, microbiology, chemistry and scientific methods and be able to apply that knowledge to public health issues; compiling and presenting scientific & public health material to community leaders and the general public in an effective manner
OR 2a. 1 full year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement in an Environmental Health curriculum;
OR 2b. a combination of graduate level education and specialized experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
Estimated Salary: Tempe AZ: $42,699 to $67,899 per year / San Carlos AZ, Elko NV, Reno NV: $41,365 to $65,778. Federal government benefits.
Deadline: August 3, 2018
Indian Health Service, HHS