Fields: law, healthcare, low income, disabilities, paralegal
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
About the Organization: PHLP is the designated state-wide health advocacy project of the Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network. PHLP has a single focus: to protect and advance the health rights of low-income and underserved individuals. In support of this mission, we primarily serve clients seeking health insurance coverage or services through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program. We also counsel and advise low-income clients about other health insurance coverage programs like Medicare and the Marketplace.
About the Position: The intake paralegal is expected to handle a high-volume of inquiries, mostly over the phone, from Pennsylvanians seeking help with problems accessing health insurance coverage and services. A successful candidate will be the initial contact for callers seeking assistance from PHLP. The intake paralegal will answer incoming calls and emails, conduct client interviews, and provide advice and referrals as appropriate. The intake paralegal will work closely with the attorneys and paralegals in all three PHLP offices (Philadelphia, Harrisburg and Pittsburgh). A two-year commitment is expected.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: • Bachelor’s Degree required; paralegal and/or client intake experience preferred
• Excellent interpersonal and client interviewing skills
• Willingness and motivation to assist on both substantive cases and administrative matters
• Ability to interact with individuals who are diverse in race, sex, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and gender identity
• Prior experience working with low-income people, older adults, and/or persons with disabilities is preferred
• Spanish proficiency is preferred but not required
Estimated Salary: $32,000 – $34,000 with generous benefits
Deadline: ASAP, start date September 10
Pennsylvania Health Law Project