Fields: urban planning, transit, government, budget, policy
Location: Richmond, Virginia
About the Organization: The Department of Planning and Budget is a Virginia executive branch agency. We work with the Governor’s Office, the General Assembly, and other state agencies to develop and execute the Commonwealth’s budget. The Department of Planning and Budget (DPB) advises the Governor on how to wisely use public resources for the benefit of all Virginians by analyzing, developing, and implementing various fiscal, programmatic, and regulatory policies.
About the Position: The Department of Planning and Budget (DPB) is seeking an entry level Budget and Policy Analyst in its Education and Transportation section. The position will work with senior DPB staff to assist the Governor’s Office, the Governor’s cabinet, the General Assembly, and other state agencies when developing and executing the Commonwealth’s budget. Initially, the analyst will be expected to assist with developing and reviewing budget and policy information, conducting detailed short and long range budget analysis, monitoring agency expenditures, organizing strategic planning and related performance information, reviewing legislation for fiscal impact, conducting special studies and program evaluation as needed, and communicating findings and recommendations.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: • Undergraduate degree in public policy, political science, public administration, government, finance, business administration, or planning or related field; or, an equivalent combination of professional level training and experience in public administration, business administration, program evaluation, research methods, planning, or government.
• Understanding of the principles of planning, budgeting, policy analysis, and financial management.
• Evidence of the ability to use automated software to prepare and present analysis such as with Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Evidence of the ability to communicate effectively with individuals at various levels of a complex organization both orally and in writing.
• Evidence of the ability to handle multiple complex assignments simultaneously under aggressive deadlines.
• Advanced degree such as a master’s degree, Ph.D. in a related field
• Evidence of the ability to use additional Microsoft Office applications such as Access and PowerPoint.
• Knowledge related to transportation-related issues, policies and funding.
Interviewed applicants will be given a work sample to complete just prior to the start of the interview process. Applicants should expect probing questions from panel members regarding the work sample, either in the initial interview or in any subsequent panels.
To be considered for this position, the applicant must submit a completed application, along with a resume and a cover letter. Failure to submit a completed application, resume, and cover letter will result in an applicant not being considered for the position.
Estimated Salary: $50,000
Deadline: August 3, 2018
Virginia Department of Planning and Budget