Fields: climate justice, campaigns, communications, politics, climate change
Location: Takoma Park, Maryland
About the Organization: The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. Our mission is to build the kind of movement it will take to put our region on the path to climate stability, while using our proximity to the nation’s capital to inspire action in neighboring states, around the country and around the world.
In Maryland, we are working on bold campaigns that would result in energy policies matching the scale of the climate crisis the state is facing. Never has our work been more important as we are facing stalls and rollbacks at the national level. For fifteen years, we have been dedicated to taking on big fights in Maryland and pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible,” using every tool inside and outside of the box – from organizing to direct action to legal challenges. We’ve succeeded in stopping the powerful natural gas lobby from fracking, we’ve passed legislation to incentivize solar and wind power, and have big plans to continue that important work over the next few years.
About the Position: Our next Maryland Grassroots Coordinator will have the skills, passion and commitment to take on one of the biggest problems facing our planet in a state where we can lead the way on clean energy victories despite the rollbacks at the national level from the Trump Administration. We are looking for a resilient, creative and strategic problem-solver to join our team.
• Field Management: Develop and manage strategic statewide field campaigns that continue to build a diverse and powerful climate movement in Maryland.
• Grassroots Organizing: Expand, mobilize, and train CCAN’s base in the state, prioritizing efforts to ensure our base accurately reflects the diversity in Maryland.
• Coalition Work: Build and maintain relationships with climate, justice, environmental, business, military and other allies in Maryland to build a broad and powerful climate movement unlike anything the state has ever seen and win shared climate victories.
• Communications: Work with CCAN’s communications team to develop and deliver powerful campaign messages that resonate across Maryland.
This position is based in Takoma Park, MD, blocks from the DC Metro’s Red Line. We are also open to this position being based in Baltimore. A car and valid driver’s license are required for this position.
Special Requirements/Qualifications: OUR PREFERRED CANDIDATE HAS THE FOLLOWING EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
• Demonstrated experience organizing across lines of difference, with a commitment to bringing diverse voices into the climate movement
• Commitment to the mission of fighting climate change
• Track record of building grassroots power and strong coalitions
• Talented public speaker
• Experience organizing in Maryland
• Experience working on climate, social justice, and/or energy-related issues
Estimated Salary: $35,000 to $40,000. We provide a generous benefits package including health care, dental and vision coverage, retirement plan and 4 weeks of paid vacation.
Apply Here: Chesapeake Climate Action Network