Fields: LGBTQ, communications, writing, advocacy, family
About the Organization: Family Equality Council is a national nonprofit whose mission is to advance legal and lived equality for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) families, and for those who wish to form them, through building community, changing hearts and minds, and driving policy change. We envision a future where all LGBTQ families, regardless of creation or composition, live in communities that recognize, respect, protect, and value them. We envision a world in which every LGBTQ person has the right and the opportunity to form and sustain a loving family, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, religion, national origin, geography, socioeconomic status, disability, or the intersection of those characteristics. Finally, we envision systems of service and support that are free of discrimination and that maximize opportunities for LGBTQ youth needing permanency and LGBTQ adults seeking family formation through adoption, foster care, assisted reproductive technology or other means.
About the Position:
Hours: 24–28 hrs/wk
Fellowship Term: Sep 4, 2018 – May 31, 2019
Family Equality Council is seeking a Digital Communications Fellow to join our communications team. The successful candidate will join the Family Equality team fighting to advance equality for LGBTQ families for a nine-month fellowship starting in September 2018, and will gain first-hand experience coordinating digital communications for a national nonprofit organization. The fellow’s work is focused on managing the organization’s editorial calendar: planning content in coordination with advocacy campaigns, programmatic work, events, and fundraising appeals, and delivering that content through the full range of digital communications channels.
- Strong commitment to equality for LGBTQ families, and experience/fluency with issues facing LGBTQ families
- Ability to edit others’ writing for style and accuracy; Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing and moderating social media channels
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Experience using WordPress or similar CMS; Comfort with online tools for cloud-based collaboration (e.g. Asana, Slack)
- Ability to work from a home/remote office with high-speed internet and reliable phone service
Estimated Salary: $14,000 – 16,000, 24–28 hrs/wk. Fellowship compensation will be disbursed twice per month throughout the fixed-term, nine-month fellowship period. Total compensation will be determined based on hourly commitment.
Deadline: August 5, 2018
Apply Here: Family Equality Council