Fields: journalism, media, communications, outreach, community development
Location: Detroit, Michigan
About the Organization: WDET is a community nonprofit institution, actively involved in the life of metro Detroit. The station is the area’s most active promoter of the area’s music and is today one of the few remaining providers of local news. In addition, WDET’s national and international programming offers the best in news, music, opinion and entertainment.
About the Position:
- Assist with the development of WDET’s digital content and communications to reach and build relationships with new audiences.
- Implement strategies to grow WDET’s online communities and engage members in a way that cultivates loyalty, user creativity and viral energy.
- Collaborate with a network of staff journalists; cultivate relationships with a network of diverse contributors and source out of house material for incorporation into daily content streams.
- Engage and grow a wide, diverse community of listener advocates and foster WDET’s ability to learn and adapt through perpetual audience and community engagement.
- Serve in a liaison and resource capacity and remain current with industry developments and trends.
- Assist in the gathering and preparation of data and audience analysis.
- College/university degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. Major coursework in mass communications, broadcast journalism or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing digital/multimedia content through a CMS and in depth understanding of CMS software. Reasonable understanding of HTML and CSS.
- Proven ability to build and engage in communities through social media; High proficiency in social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, as well as content management systems and social analytics tools preferred.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, including high level understanding of digital metrics; An unyielding commitment to continuous improvement and ability to use multiple sources of data to inform short- and long-term decisions
- Experience working with and/or in support of diverse communities
- Ability to implement creativity along with strategy
Estimated Salary: $41,989 – $50,388
Deadline: Until filled
WDET ‘Detroit’s Public Radio Station’ / Wayne State University