Fields: research, correctional system, immigrants, law, policy
Location: Oakland, California
About the Organization: The American Friends Service Committee is a Quaker organization that promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action. Drawing on continuing spiritual insights and working with people of many backgrounds, we nurture the seeds of change and respect for human life that transform social relations and systems.
About the Position: Follow the money… Investigate the prison industrial complex, the industry of immigrant detention and surveillance, the U.S. Mexico border wall and the exploitation of the families and communities of immigrants and incarcerated people. Help us expose the profiteers from state violence! The key responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Maintain the Investigate online database, update information about companies and campaigns, manage a database of relevant sources, contacts and resources;
- Conduct corporate research about the prisons and border industries, write short summaries about companies and industries;
- Create resources for activists and investors to support more initiatives targeting these corporations.
This internship is for six months to a year, starting November 1st, 2018, part time (20 hours a week),flexible hours, out of the AFSC Oakland office on 1730 Franklin Street, STE 201.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Good communication, ability to work with a team and alone.
- Experience organizing within a grassroots movement around economic activism, immigrant rights, anti-prison or Palestine solidarity issues.
- Understanding of and compatibility with Quaker principles and philosophy including non-violence and the belief in the intrinsic worth of every individual.
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles, concerns, and considerations, of AFSC in regard to issues of race, class, nationality, religion, age, gender and sexual orientation, and disabilities. Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with diverse staff.
Estimated Salary: $18/hour, 20 hours/week, flexible.
Deadline: October 19, 2018
American Friends Service Committee