Fields: sexual health, domestic violence, education, outreach, youth
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
About the Organization: The mission of The Purple Door is to empower the community and those affected by domestic violence and sexual assault to transition to a safe and healthy environment. Our passionate and talented employees provide services at no charge to victims and survivors of family violence and sexual assault throughout a 12-county region of South Texas. We offer support and empowerment to individuals through a safe shelter, non-residential services/programs and outreach.
About the Position: This position goes out to different community groups/schools to provide education on our agency’s services and preventative education to hopefully end domestic and sexual violence in our area. The position is based in Corpus Christi, TX but works a full 12 county region (mileage reimbursed). Duties include:
- To actively solicit, coordinate, and provide educational presentations to lead prevention efforts between community partners including social service agencies, substance abuse agencies, police departments,
- school districts, organizations outside of schools that directly serve youth, scouting, and faith-based communities in the implementation of activities to effect a social change in domestic violence.
- Develop and deliver training programs and workshops to appropriate constituency groups.
- Participate in the execution of primary prevention activities to include educational seminars; training programs for professionals; preparation of informational materials; educational programs for college students and campus personnel; education about drugs used to facilitate domestic violence; and other efforts to help prevent and increase awareness of domestic violence, including awareness in underserved communities and among people serving the youth population.
- Monitor primary prevention activities and prepare reports of interventions conducted.
- Network with community partners to enhance collaborative projects that strengthen primary prevention initiatives.
- Degree in human services field preferred.
- Knowledge regarding sexual assault and domestic violence preferred;
- strong sense of teamwork and cooperation;
- excellent oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on public speaking;
- flexible with ability to work independently and exhibit creativity;
- able to manage multiple priorities concurrently and meet deadlines; nontraditional hours to include some evening and weekend hours required; some travel requiring a valid driver’s license and a personal, insured vehicle for use on the job required.
Estimated Salary: $16-17/hour (educated guess)
The Purple Door