Fields: government, international relations, history, communications, business
Location: San Antonio, Texas
About the Organization: The International Relations Office of San Antonio has its roots in the intensive globalization campaign that culminated in HemisFair ’68, the event that transformed San Antonio into a worldwide tourist mecca and a key player in international affairs. Since then, the office has worked tirelessly to attract global trade and foreign investment, as well as to provide protocol services for the San Antonio community. The International Relations Office serves as San Antonio’s front door to the rest of the world. Its roles include hosting international dignitaries, advising and training local agencies on international projects, and maintaining relationships with San Antonio’s sister cities and alliances in China, Germany, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, and many more countries. Our office also serves as an official liaison for the city’s local partners, including the Mexican Consulate, Free Trade Alliance San Antonio, North American Development Bank, U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration, Bexar County, local chambers of commerce, and many foreign universities and commercial entities.
About the Position: Under direction, is responsible for assisting in developing and implementing programs to promote San Antonio’s role globally through facilitating targeted international initiatives, supporting protocol activities, writing reports and conducting research. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment. Exercises no supervision.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists with initiatives in the Sister Cities Program that involves visits by Sister City representatives and visits by City Officials to Sister Cities.
- Conducts research on international topics for the purpose of creating the necessary briefings and reports required in fulfillment of duties.
- Prepares written correspondence related to international relations for the Director, Mayor, City Council members, City Manager, and other City Officials.
- Coordinates the Flag Loan Program.
- Assists with updates in the social networking platforms and website for International Relations Office.
- Maintains and updates myriad databases, including those related to calendar of events, contacts, delegations, diplomatic corps, partners, and official gifts.
- Assists in City-wide efforts to establish and maintain relationships with national and international cities interested in international trade.
- Assists in planning and coordinating foreign travel by elected officials; Assists in planning and coordinating visits by foreign dignitaries by arranging itineraries, receptions, press conferences, briefing and meetings with officials.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in International Relations, International Studies, Communications, English, History or related field.
- One (1) year of increasingly responsible experience in international-related field, business, communications or public affairs.
- Ability to speak different languages.
- Good writing skills; Strong research skills for work related information.
- Knowledge of social networking and web-based apps in support of promoting and managing events.
Estimated Salary: $39,189.02 – $58,783.92 Annually
Deadline: September 14, 2018
City of San Antonio