Fields: government, political science, history, policy, law
About the Organization: The Congressional Research Service (CRS), a service unit of the Library of Congress, works exclusively for the United States Congress providing policy and legal analysis to committees and Members of both the House and Senate, regardless of party affiliation.
About the Position: Every two years, CRS, in cooperation with the House of Representatives, sponsors a four day seminar for newly-elected Members of the House of Representatives. All new Members and their families are invited. The seminar focuses on issues and legislative procedure that new Members need to understand during their first year in office. A program assistant/coordinator is needed to support all aspects of this four day event; full time (40 hours per week) temporary position lasting 6 months.
- Logistics – updating invitation materials; managing transportation; managing the reservation process; assisting with outreach efforts to newly-elected Members and related tracking; coordinating travel; communicating travel arrangements; managing food and beverage functions; determining setup for function rooms; coordinating the preparation and shipping of materials; and managing all aspects of communication (both oral and written) with speakers including materials, a/v, transportation and special needs.
- Facilities and Services – conducting site inspection; participating in pre-meeting briefings with staff, suppliers, security, military, and facility providers; planning technology requirements; and conducting a post-meeting review with staff.
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills (events experience preferred)
- Basic knowledge of MS Word and Excel (Access is a plus); Capacity to learn other types of software programs
- Strong proofreading skills
- Clear, professional, and polite phone manner
- Ability to multi task and work in a fast-paced environment as part of a team
- Must have a professional demeanor
- Business attire required
- Understand customer service
Estimated Salary: Low $50,000 range.
Deadline: September 10, 2018
Library of Congress