Fields: arts, social change, education, social science, culture
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
About the Organization: The Walker Art Center is a catalyst for the creative expression of artists and the active engagement of audiences. Focusing on the visual, performing, and media arts of our time, the Walker takes a global, multidisciplinary, and diverse approach to the creation, presentation, interpretation, collection, and preservation of art. Walker programs examine the questions that shape and inspire us as individuals, cultures, and communities.
About the Position: The Walker Art Center is seeking Educators to provide a welcoming and flexible approach to engage a diverse range of visitors and guests with the programming and content of the museum through tours, workshops and other learning events. Through an intensive training provided by the Walker Art Center, Educators facilitate inclusive conversations about Walker collections, exhibitions, moving image screenings, performances and other programs. Educators work as individuals and as a team with the Education and Public Programs department to prepare resources and materials to deliver program activities that shape people’s understanding of art with a focus on learner-centered, inquiry-based methods. Educators come from a variety of disciplinary backgrounds including practicing artists, educators, and special needs support staff.
- Strong interest in education, contemporary arts and culture; education in fine arts, design or architecture, art history, art education, media arts, education or social studies is helpful, but not essential.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and poise; ability to think on one’s feet and improvise and adapt to a range of situations in the moment to problem solve.
- Experience in mediating and facilitating conversations with a wide range of people including from different cultural backgrounds, age ranges, abilities and attitudes.
- Fluency in language other than English with preference for Somali, Spanish, Hmong, Arabic and Vietnamese strongly preferred.
- Desired: Experience working with children or in an educational setting; experience working with people with specific needs including physical and/or intellectual disabilities and/or autism and/or dementia.
Estimated Salary: $20 per hour; 15-21 hours/week; flexibility to work a range of days & hours including evenings & weekends, ability to work at least two shifts per week; availability to attend monthly Educator trainings, generally held on Monday mornings; museum discounts and membership.
Deadline: September 29, 2018
Walker Art Center