Fields: law, social justice, civil rights, human rights, outreach
Location: Chicago, Illinois
About the Organization: The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) was formed in 1937 as the country’s first integrated national bar association. The NLG is dedicated to the need for basic change in the structure of our political and economic system. We seek to unite the lawyers, law students, legal workers and jailhouse lawyers to function as an effective force in the service of the people, to the end that human rights shall be regarded as more sacred than property interests.
About the Position: The Chicago Guild is hiring a part-time chapter administrator and organizer. We are looking for a self-starter who will bring a forward-looking perspective and renewed energy into the Guild office. The person who fills this position will be tasked with building the Chicago Guild and facilitating our continued growth. The position will begin as soon as possible and require 10 hours per week, with regular office hours and some flexibility depending on the Chapter activities each month.
The chapter administrator position includes the following roles (additional tasks may be assigned):
- Coordinating and facilitating chapter wide events, including NLG Chicago’s annual fall fundraising event and spring May Day Party
- Growing chapter membership and fundraising through organized initiatives & outreach
- Building relationships between the Chicago Guild and like-minded or partnered organizations, plugging the Guild into the progressive community in Chicago
- Maintaining NLG Chicago’s online presence by updating our website, Facebook, and Twitter pages
- Maintaining listservs and sending updates to chapter membership through MailChimp
- Meeting with the NLG Treasurer to discuss budgetary matters
- Performing office administrative duties, including responding to phone calls, email, and receiving postal mail in the Guild Office; Directing and managing office volunteers
Special Requirements/Qualifications: Organizing skills and a commitment to social justice are required. Fundraising experience preferred.
Estimated Salary: $20/hour
Deadline: August 19, 2018
National Lawyers Guild, Chicago