Fields: public health, advocacy, youth, community mobilization, policy
Location: San Francisco, California
About the Organization: Based in San Francisco’s Tenderloin District, the Vietnamese Youth Development Center (VYDC) is a multi-service agency offering services in employment and leadership training, education support and advocacy as well as individual and family counseling for immigrant and low-income youth and their families. The Center’s programs help to divert youth by providing constructive activities that impact their world increase their individual and cultural pride as well as build community spirit. Founded over 40 years ago, VYDC serves over 500 young people of all background each year.
About the Position: The Program Coordinator position will be responsible for implementing the agency’s Emerging Community Leaders program for youth between the ages of 14 – 18 years old. The Program Coordinator will recruit and train youth on how to identify community health issues, support the development of research questions and lead the collection of collecting and analyzation of information. The coordinator will work with youth to select and determine an action plan to implement. In addition, this individual will work with youth to maintain and or enforce the action through training and coalition building with youth. The Program Coordinator responsibilities will include recruiting, training and developing the skills of youth advocates; planning workshop lessons; attending training; working with youth participants to assess, and researching community health issues and policies affecting the Southeast Asian communities in San Francisco and Tenderloin neighborhood; and conducting presentations and education to raise awareness to community members and policymakers.
• Bachelor-related degree required plus a minimum of 1-year work experience in a health education, community organizing or advocacy area OR 2 years or more of work experience in a health-related or advocacy field.
• Demonstrated experience or skills in advocacy particularly in working with policymakers or other similar bodies.
• Knowledge of community health needs assessment methodologies
• Knowledge of critical analysis and strategies of policies
• Deep understanding of data analysis
• Strong youth group facilitation skills
• Strong community outreach skills
• Strong analytical skill and knowledge of health disparities in communities of color.
• Strong knowledge and or passion for working with low-income children and youth.
Estimated Salary: $22-$25/hour, 37.5 hours per week with company paid medical and dental benefits, sick, vacation and holiday pay
Deadline: Not given/Until filled
Vietnamese Youth Development Center