Fields: law, outreach, women, children, paralegal
Location: Amsterdam, New York
About the Organization: The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York provides effective, free civil legal services and education to and advocacy for people with low income or other barriers to accessing the legal system.
About the Position: We have a Paralegal/WIC Outreach Coordinator position open in the Amsterdam office. The coordinator will implement the Legal Aid Society’s WIC Outreach Project, designed to increase participation in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) in Fulton and Montgomery Counties.
Responsibilities – The WIC Outreach Program Coordinator will do outreach and education with potential WIC recipients and with human services agency staff who serve WIC recipients. Job duties include off site intake; providing WIC information to individuals who qualify for WIC; prescreening clients for possible WIC eligibility; educating local social services agencies about the WIC program; referring WIC-eligible individuals to WIC agencies or sites; identifying and addressing local barriers to WIC enrollment; and referring clients to other Legal Aid staff for full representation as needed. The WIC Outreach Program Coordinator will also be expected to conduct presentations to low income individuals, community agencies and the general public and to connect with other community groups serving potential WIC recipients or providing food or feeding services in Fulton and Montgomery Counties. Responsible for outreach and detailed grant reporting. Regular travel, work from our satellite Fulton County office and limited evening/weekend hours are required.
- Must have attention to detail, be intelligent, hard-working, careful, reliable, have good judgment, and a demonstrated commitment to the low-income community.
- Must have relevant experience OR paralegal certificate OR college degree.
- Must be able to work well as part of a team.
- Must have car and valid driver’s license and should possess good computer skills.
- Strong preference for candidate who is fluent in Spanish.
- Previous relevant experience, including experience with the food stamp program or media/communication activities, and/or B.A. degree is preferred.
Estimated Salary: $26,624 – $37,213 depending upon experience. Excellent fringe benefits.
Deadline: July 30, 2018
Apply Here: Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York