Fields: racial justice, social enterprise, business, African American, indigenous
Location: PortlandOR, Oregon
About the Organization: Brown Hope is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in March 2018. Our mission is to lead community-grounded initiatives to make justice a lived experience for Black, Brown, and Indigenous people in Oregon. Our two recurring programs are Reparations Power Hour and Blackstreet Bakery. Blackstreet Bakery is an economic development program of Brown Hope. Blackstreet Bakery’s mission is to honor Mississippi Avenue as a historic home for Black Portlanders and to expand economic opportunities for Black people in plant-based baking. We operate a semi-weekly pop-up vegan bakery, with the intent to make enough revenue to pay a living wage to Black people and grow Blackstreet Bakery into a sustainable long-term venture. Q Center is an emerging nonprofit in Portland, which boasts a robust online and media presence. Our high energy work environment encourages flexible work schedules and collaborative leadership.
About the Position: The Operations Coordinator works closely with the Lead Advocate to advance the mission of racial justice nonprofit Brown Hope. Roles include: organizing events, managing social media channels; managing the e-newsletter; community outreach; managing the donor database; and managing bakery operations.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, including excellent oral, written and listening communication.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and passion for improving the community Brown Hope aims to serve.
- Knowledge and experience with social justice issues and a culturally responsive equity, diversity, and inclusion framework.
- Proficiency in: Google Office, Squarespace, Mailchimp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, plus ability to quickly learn additional software.
- Ability to work quickly, accurately, and decisively. Excellent organizational skills, such as convening meetings, scheduling, and note taking. Ability to think strategically while paying attention to detail and meeting deadlines. Experience with project management, event planning, and event coordination.
- Willing to improve with a learning and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Requires travel to offsite meetings and a valid driver’s license is preferred but other forms of transportation are acceptable as long as position requirements are met in a timely manner.
Estimated Salary: $19-$21 an hour, depending on experience.
Deadline: ASAP, absolute deadline March 24, 2019 5:00 pm