Fields: youth, correctional system, poverty, criminal justice, social services
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
About the Organization: FLIA works to cultivate the next generation of social sector leaders by placing fellows with youth organizations to work on a youth program. The Iowa Department of Human Right’s (DHR) works to ensure basic rights, freedoms and opportunities for all by empowering underrepresented Iowans and eliminating economic, social and cultural barriers.
About the Position: You will assist with the oversight, preparation, and finalization of a report, which summarizes juvenile justice reentry reform efforts in Iowa, learn more about the juvenile justice system, how it operates, and the barriers youth face upon reentry along with the current reforms occurring in Iowa, compile and report data from various partners involved in the juvenile justice reentry system, attend a pre-fellowship training retreat in Chicago, IL from May 20-25, 2019 (expenses covered), and fundraise $500 (with guidance from FLIA).
- Writing and communication skills; Organizational skills; Public speaking skills
- Comfortable working with youth
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about the social sector and juvenile justice
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity and professionalism
Estimated Salary: $575/week
Deadline: March 24, 2019