Fields: racial justice, youth, poverty, civic engagement, community development
Location: Chicago, Illinois
About the Organization: My Block, My Hood, My City provides underprivileged youth with an awareness of the world and opportunities beyond their neighborhood. One Block At A Time is a community development program focused around volunteering and block club partnership, primarily on Chicago’s South and West sides. The goal of this program is to promote peace and safety, improve access to opportunity, and reduce economic and racial segregation. Program activities include introducing organizing technology and strategies to block clubs, updating block club signs, and organizing volunteers around local concerns.
About the Position:
- This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic fact-paced non profit. May develop into full-time position. 20 hours/week. Requires ability to work flexible days between the hours of 8:30am and 8:30pm; Ability to work both remotely and on-site.
- Serve as a assistant and understudy to program manager and CEO
- Provide planning as well as day-of event coordination assistance for events.
- Train block clubs in the set up and use of Facebook groups. Assist with installation of block club signs. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Support the creation of newsletter and assist with shipping and customer service emails as needed.
- Offer support and strategic thinking aimed at enhancing the impact of the One Block At A Time Program.
- Bachelor’s degree and reliable access to car, preferred
- Proficient in written and verbal English with comfort in public speaking
- High level of customer service with work interactions and completing tasks
- Proven organization, time management and attention to detail skills
- Passion for community development and social justice
- Proficiency in Google Suite and Constant Contact, a plus
Estimated Salary: $15/hour, 20 hrs/wk
Deadline: January 13, 2019
My Block, My Hood, My City