Fields: immigrants, law, rural, social services, Spanish
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
About the Organization: The Immigrant Legal Center provides legal services, education, and advocacy for immigrants in Nebraska and Southwest Iowa in an inclusive and compassionate sense—welcoming and helping immigrants who are often scared and confused by the U.S. legal system, and who cannot afford legal assistance from the private bar. The ultimate goal of the Immigrant Legal Center is to empower immigrants to be full participants in the community by providing access to the justice system.
About the Position: The RCB Legal Assistant will support the Rural Capacity Building team’s efforts to welcome immigrants in rural Nebraska communities by assisting in legal service provision and community capacity building. Major duties include Legal Services, Case Management, Client Advocacy, and Community Outreach.
- Certification, associate’s degree, or bachelor’s degree in legal studies, social services, interpretation, or related field.
- Bilingual, fluent in English and Spanish. Culturally competent. Ability to work sensitively with clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, faiths, backgrounds, etc.
- Previous front-desk receptionist, administrative assistant, or case management experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Ability to maintain confidentiality and communicate with clients with tact.
- Superb organizational skills and detail orientation. Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Familiarity with or interest in immigration issues and/or legal services.
Estimated Salary: $14 – $16/hour (based upon experience) + Medical, dental, and vision insurance and 403(b) retirement plan
Deadline: Until filled, ASAP
Immigrant Legal Center