Fields: education, children, youth, disabilities, immigrants
Location: NYC, New York
About the Organization: The New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) is the largest public school system in the
United States, serving over 1.1 million students in more than 1,800 schools. Our schools range in focus from traditional pre-K-12 education, to specialized instruction in various subject areas, in addition to services for our students who have special needs.
The Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality (TRQ) is responsible for the recruitment of qualified teachers to meet the diverse staffing needs of the NYC DOE public schools and NYC Early Education Centers. Research has repeatedly shown that teacher quality is the single most important variable in raising student achievement.
TRQ’s mission is to:
- Serve as the primary marketing agent and source of information to individuals seeking to become NYC public school teachers.
- Recruit and cultivate a diverse pool of qualified teachers to teach in a NYC DOE public school.
- Provide deeper levels of teacher staffing and selection support to our highest-need schools to help them make optimal hiring decisions.
About the Position: The NYC Department of Education’s Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality (TRQ) is seeking a Special Populations Consultant to provide various supports related to the following certification areas: Special Education, Bilingual Special Education, Bilingual Education, English as a New Language, and Languages other than English. The various supports include but not limited to the following: staffing support, candidate cultivation support, program support Subsidized Secondary Students with Disabilities Certification Program and administrative supports.
- Minimum 2 years of college; Bachelor’s degree is a plus but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 6+ months’ experience working in an educational setting preferred.
- Preferred experience in a customer/client service role.
- Strong relationship management skills.
The ideal candidate for the Special Populations Consultant position should be able to successfully demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Problem solving mindset. Effectively articulates and recognizes important trends while offering effective solutions for the team.
- Organized and detail-oriented. Highly organized with the ability to independently manage tasks/projects while prioritizing team’s goals.
- Adaptable. Open to doing various projects that may extend beyond day-to-day work responsibilities.
- Coachable. Successfully integrates TRQ staff feedback to successfully complete tasks/projects. Open to learning new skills to produce quality work products.
Estimated Salary: $20 – $25/hour, dependent on relevant experience. 35 hours/week.
Deadline: September 28, 2018
Department of Education of the City of New York