Fields: social services, domestic violence, human trafficking, women’s rights, children
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
About the Organization: Our Mission & Vision- Help and Emergency Response, Inc. provides leadership, advocacy, and resources to survivors and communities affected by Domestic Violence, Sexual Violence, Stalking, and Human Trafficking. The work of Help and Emergency Response, Inc. will create a safe and prosperous future for all through awareness, services, and training for lasting change in the communities we serve.
Our Philosophy- To empower everyone to break the cycle of violence and to become (or remain) healthy, productive, caring individuals whose strong sense of self-worth is directly transmitted to their children. We believe all adults and children are entitled to a violence-free life in a stable environment. We believe everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity. We believe we must be non-judgmental, open-minded, compassionate, and positive in our work – serving as nurturing role models. We believe we can inspire others to reach their ultimate potential, to establish a better life for themselves and their children.
About the Position: This position is part of a Housing First service model that works to rapidly rehouse clients from homelessness to stable housing. HER believes homelessness should be rare, brief and nonrecurring. The position of Operations Attendant is part of the Mobile Crisis Coordinator Staff and will assist in the implementation of crisis services program through attending to shelter needs, general intakes for clients, assistance with answering homeless hotline referrals. This staff is responsible for oversight of individuals and families in emergency shelters during their shift. This is a temporary, part-time position through December 2018 with a review period at the end of September.
- Screen all requests for shelter or assistance, complete safety planning, conduct crisis interviews with callers as needed, secure transportation and placement for callers who are in homeless situations and provide information and referral as appropriate.
- Introduce clients to service philosophy including: housing first, short term shelter, community living scenarios, strengths based assessment, and long term sustainability goals.
- Assist in reinforcing a housing first and strengths based model to empower clients to build sustainable solutions for themselves and family.
[See link for full list]
Six positions/shifts available, all part-time:
- 7 AM-3 PM Sat/Sun (8 hour shifts, 2x per week)
- 8 AM – 1:30 PM Mon-Fri (5.5 hour shifts, 5x per week)
- 3 PM – 11 PM Sat/Sun (8 hour shifts, 2x per week)
- 5 PM – 11 PM Mon-Fri (6 hour shifts, 5x per week)
- 11 PM – 7 AM Fri-Sun (8 hour shifts, 3x per week)
- 11 PM – 7 AM Mon-Thurs (8 hour shifts, 4x per week)
Special Requirements/Qualifications: We are looking for dedicated, passionate, hard-working individuals to come and help us provide excellent services to people experiencing homelessness. Must have a driver’s license and good driving record.
Personal Qualifications: Ability to work independently, communicate effectively, orally and in writing. Ability to lift 25pds.
Estimated Salary: $9.50 per hour
ALERT: The maximum salary is LESS than the living wage for this area.
HER Shelter – Help and Emergency Response